I just upgraded to WordPress 2.6 tonight so we’ll see if this post goes ok!
Above is this week’s progress on the baby sweater. Before you roll your eyes at me about how little progress there has actually been from Monday’s post, I’d like to point out that there are 183 stitches in a row, which is more stitches than my brown ripple afghan. Also I messed up on a cable. The yarn is really splitty because of the way it’s loosely plied (I’m not a spinner, but I think that’s what I’m seeing), so the cable stitches got all hung up on each other and I didn’t grab all the strands for all the stitches and they just looked terrible. It wasn’t too long ago that such a thing would have scared the b’jesus outta me, but a few months ago I remembered seeing a tutorial on Kelley Petkun’s blog about fixing cable mistakes. So, I took a deep breath and said to myself I can do it, because Kelley’s cables were a much bigger mess than mine and she lived. So did I. I unpicked a couple rows of the cable stitches, reknit them from the strands and crossed the cable stitches and reknit them from their strands. Done. I should have taken pictures of the process but it really wasn’t that bad. I figure each time I have a major screw up in knitting I will learn something new by fixing it.
For all my hard work you can barely see the cable pattern starting to emerge. They’re between the green markers in the picture. Soon, I’ll be ready to put the sleeve stitches on holders. It’s supposed to be bloody hot here this weekend so I plan to stay mostly indoors. We’re having a dinner party at my mom’s tomorrow night because it’s too hot for the outdoor picnic we had planned at the pool. Oh well. It’s another summer in Maryland. I was wondering when the hot weather was going to get here. Turns out I needn’t have bothered worrying.
Ciao for now…