Project Name: Going in Circles Hat
Source: My Own Improvisation
Yarn Used: Vanna’s Choice Worsted
Needle Size: G,E crochet Hooks
Date Started: January 20, 2012
Date Completed: February 18, 2012
It took me something like 10 years, but I finally created the hat I’ve been seeing in my head all that time. I once bought a hat at a craft fair. It was simple, crocheted with basic acrylic yarn. At the time I hadn’t yet discovered any other fiber so this didn’t seem unusual to me. What I liked about the hat was its shape, and how it was stiff enough to hold its shape, despite ridiculous amounts of abuse and years of being balled up in the hat and scarf box at the bottom of the coat closet.
I tried, over the years, to emulate that hat, but never succeeded. Until now. It is crocheted, with two strands of worsted weight yarn held together, with a hook I would normally have used for only one strand of that same yarn. It was hard on my hands, but my goal was to create stitches so stiff that the hat would hold its shape on its own. And I did it.
My mother-in-law chose the velvet ribbon and flower bow and helped me by sewing them on. For that I am grateful, because I am so terrible at sewing!
And now I am making a second one, so I can be sure that the idea for this hat wasn’t luck, but logic, so that I can write up the recipe and share it. Look for that soon, I hope. (Yes, it’s a recipe and not a true pattern; I made it up as I went and can be made to fit by taking measurements and then crocheting until the right size has been achieved. Therefore, a typical pattern with exact sizing and numbers of rounds and stitches just won’t work in this case.
Either way, stay tuned. It’ll be soon.
Bye for now!